[kde-doc-english] Entities in Kleopatra

Erik K. Pedersen erik at binghamton.edu
Wed Aug 4 16:26:23 CEST 2004

Onsdag 04 august 2004 13:22 skrev Éric Bischoff:
> Kleopatra's DOCTYPE block lists a lot of general entites definitions, for
> example menu entries :
>
>  <!ENTITY file-new-key-pair
> Pair...</guimenuitem></menuchoice>">
>
> There is nothing wrong with that (instead, it's a good idea, as it spares
> copie'n'pastes and is cleaner), but xml2po and po2xml don"t look into the
> DOCTYPE block. Therefore the corresponding texts cannot be translated with
> po files.

I think it is a rather awful idea as far as translation is concerned. Entities
often can not be used because the structure of other languages is different.

I have another question: in some docs they use &kappname; instead of the
programs actual name. That would help enormously with translation since there
would be very many strings in the database that way. Would that be difficult
to have more generally

Erik