[kde-doc-english] Documention Updates - Discussion

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Wed Apr 28 23:17:20 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 00.12, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op dinsdag 27 april 2004 17:18, schreef Lauri Watts:
> > As far as I'm concerned, going to 3 major versions and a couple of years
> > out of date, to one minor version out of date, is still a huge
> > improvement.
>
> Lauri,
>
> Thanks for your answer. Do you think there is a possibility to lift the
> freeze for minor changes as we all, IMHO, would benefit from that?

I'd rather not relax the freeze.  It's too hard to distinguish 'nice to have
updated for the teams who have resources' vs 'discouraging to the teams who
are still playing catch-up since the docs never settle down', turning our
freeze into something more of a slush.  My "urgent important" is someone
elses "why'd you bother to even fix that", and vice versa.

You do have discretion on a per language basis, to backport translations from
HEAD into the branch, and I think this is a better solution all around.

I know Erik K. Pedersen does this very often in the Danish team, I suspect a
couple of the other teams do too.  I mention Erik, because I know he has it
down to quite a fine art, and can probably give you a script for most of it.

I'm hesitant to give specifics from memory, so I'll dig up the old posts
explaining in detail how to do it.

Finally, there's been discussion in the past about not freezing down the docs
at all, or only freezing them after the x.1 version is released (I think this
second is the way to go, personally.)  I remember a couple of the teams that
were well ahead in the stats were quite for it, and a couple of others
strongly against.  I think it's something to bring up again for discussion
when we're looking at scheduling 3.4/4.0, whichever is next.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/