[kde-doc-english] Re: Kontact documentation

Antonio Salazar flossadvocate at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 27 00:55:07 CEST 2004

On Monday 26 April 2004 17:23, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Antonio,
>
> > Well, here (attached) is the .tar.gz archive with the updated Kontact
> > documentation and all the screenshots (because there are actually
> > screenshots in this one). Let me know what you think, and, of course,
> > fire away with the proofreaders...
>
> Looks good! I've made some changes to the markup, mainly changing a few
> 'presentation' things to 'content' things. A great tag is <replaceable>,
> which I've used (inside <guilabel>s, mainly) to show something that is a
> placeholder, and will be replaced by the real value.

Ahh :-) I'd forgotten about <guilabel>, and definitely didn't know about
<replaceable> :-) I'll remember to use those on any other work I do.

> You should add yourself at least in the 'credits and license' section, and
> probably in the <bookinfo> section too. I changed the <date> to the current
> date (you should do this each time you modify the document - it helps the
> translators). I don't have Kontact from CVS HEAD at the moment, so I
> couldn't find the correct version of the application to <releaseinfo>. You
> should change that.

Okay, I'll do that.

> We don't usually link to other documents inside docbook files, because we
> can't be sure they exist on the user's system, but in this case, I think we
> can be reasonably certain that the rest of kdepim will be installed. So I
> guess it's OK to have the links (and they're very useful for the content).
> Does anyone else here have an opinion?

Well, if the rest of KDE PIM isn't installed with Kontact, Kontact's gonna be
freakin' out, I daresay... I'm not sure if it's designed to actually check
for programs before inserting them into the sidebar.

> Please feel free to ask about any changes I've suggested, and to disagree
> with them if you want :-).

Nothing to disagree with :-)

> (I'm not sure if it's just because I'm on a small screen here, but the
> screenshots seem to be quite large. Would it be easy to resize the Kontact
> window and retake them?)

Did you think so? I wasn't entirely sure. I tried to get them at a size where
as much as possible of the content was visible. If you think I should make
them smaller, however, I'll go ahead and do that. Should I resize Kontact and
retake them, or just use ImageMagick/GIMP to resize the image itself?

> > PS: For future reference, how large is 'quite large'? :-)
>
> I guess >500KB is 'quite large' (well, www.ntk.net seems to think so :-).

Mmm... I'll keep that in mind next time ;-).

> Again, thanks for the good work, and any questions, don't hesitate to ask,
> Regards,
> Philip

Antonio

- --
Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.  There are many examples of
outsiders who eventually overthrew entrenched scientific orthodoxies, but
they prevailed with irrefutable data.  More often, egregious findings that
contradict well-established research turn out to be artifacts.  I have
argued that accepting psychic powers, reincarnation, "cosmic conciousness,"
and the like, would entail fundamental revisions of the foundations of
neuroscience.  Before abandoning materialist theories of mind that have paid
handsome dividends, we should insist on better evidence for psi phenomena
than presently exists, especially when neurology and psychology themselves
offer more plausible alternatives.
- - Barry L. Beyerstein, "The Brain and Conciousness: Implications for Psi
   Phenomena", The Skeptical Inquirer, Vol. XII No. 2, ppg. 163-171

*Kontact Documentation
Maintainer*