[kde-doc-english] Re: Re[2]: "Folder" or "Directory"?

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Tue Oct 21 08:47:16 CEST 2003

Am Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2003 08:21 schrieb Gregory Mokhin:

> IMHO, this discussion is not new, and a couple of years ago it was
> decided that:
>
> "directory" is more suitable in the context of CLI
> "folder" is more suitable in the context of GUI

Right, that's what I said in the core-devel discussion. For implementation
details, see Lauri's postings.

> So the changes should be done very carefully, if they are needed at
> all.

They are still needed since the above decision did not lead to much
consequences for the existing originals. That's why the self-same discussion
(with identical results) comes up over and over again.

> For the Russian team it would be most of the time useless work to
> fix all these new fuzzies, as Russian has also very clear
> distinction between 'papka' (=folder) and 'katalog' (=directory).

Sure (other teams did this as well). But at some point in time the change must
also be made to the English original which probably is still the most widely
used version. That's the only way to finally get rid of the subject. And it
looks like this point in time is now.

Regards,

Thomas

--