[kde-doc-english]DTD incompatibility

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Mar 21 18:19:06 CET 2003

On Friday 21 March 2003 17.59, Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting the workaround suggested by Lauri to get my documentation
> compiling under all KDE 3.x versions.  My test system has KDE_3_1_BRANCH
> installed.  After modifying the DOCTYPE line in index.docbook to specify
> version 4.1.2 of the DTD (rather than 4.2), it does start compiling the
> docs (hooray!), but I get validity errors that don't occur under 4.2 on my
> HEAD system:
>
>   validity error: Element link is not declared in action list of
>   possible children
>
> The relevant lines in the docs:
>   <listitem>
>   <para>
>   <action>Select a new <link linkend="geolocation">geographic
>   location</link></action>
>   </para>
>   </listitem>
>
> Any idea why this works under 4.2 but not 4.1.2?  Is it a recent change to
> the DTD to allow <link> inside <action> or is that just plain wrong, but
> 4.2 is less picky than 4.1.2?

It's a recent change, to expand the list of things <action> can contain. It's
a tossup, when you are forced to choose by the DTD, which is the most
important information - that it's an action tends to lose in my opinion, but
it's quite up to you.

We don't really use the <action> in any sense, it's not styled, and we don't
have any scripts that can e.g. compare the menu with the document, which is
the kind of thing it's marked up for.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/