[kde-doc-english]Problem in the KDE FAQ, section 9.7

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Tue Jan 7 10:39:56 CET 2003

Le Tuesday 07 January 2003 10:07, michael at schwager.com a écrit:
> Hi,
> Section 9.7 says this:
> "9.7.
>
> KDE (kdm) does not read my .bash_profile!
>
> profile. Please edit your Xsession and .xsession files."
>
> ..The problem is, the /etc/kde/kdm/Xsession file is run first.  If you
> look at that file, you see (near the end; line 86 in my Xsession) that
> there is a case statement.  This case statement chooses the session type:
> gnome, kde, failsafe, or twm.  Since xdm runs this file and gives in an
> argument of which of these environments to use, the case is satisfied.
> Thus, the users .xsession file is never read.  So there is no way for the
> user to run their own programs on KDE startup, as far as I can tell.
> I traced the startup process through /usr/bin/startkde... no joy.

What is your distribution and version of KDE ?

With a home-compiled KDE 3.1, I have the following :

- - "Xsession" is in /opt/kde3.1/share/config/kdm/ and not in /etc/kde/kdm/

- - several profiles are run from Xsession, before the case statement, giving
the users an opportunity to run their own profiles (but it's true that
$HOME/.bash_profile is not in the list):

test -f /etc/profile && . /etc/profile
test -f $HOME/.profile && . $HOME/.profile
test -f /etc/xprofile && . /etc/xprofile
test -f $HOME/.xprofile && . $HOME/.xprofile

- - it's true that .xsession is called only if the environment to run (e.g. kde)
is not known. But does that contradict the text that is in the FAQ ? The FAQ
encourages to have a look at Xsession and .xsession, and if the environment
is not known .xsession could be a place to do the call to the user's profile.
Okay, I agree Xsession is a better place in any case, but nethertheless what
the FAQ says is not wrong, is it ?

case $sess in
    failsafe)
        exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0 $*
        ;;
    kde)
        export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde3.1/bin
        ;;
    ""|default)
        if test -x $HOME/.xsession; then
            exec $HOME/.xsession $*
        else
            export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde3.1/bin
            sess=kde
        fi
        ;;
esac

- --
Disclaimer: The above gramar and speling mistaches
are copiryghted (C) by there respective authors.