[kde-doc-english]Problem in the KDE FAQ, section 9.7

michael at schwager.com michael at schwager.com
Tue Jan 7 10:07:19 CET 2003

Hi,
Section 9.7 says this:
"9.7.

KDE (kdm) does not read my .bash_profile!

profile. Please edit your Xsession and .xsession files."

..The problem is, the /etc/kde/kdm/Xsession file is run first.  If you
look at that file, you see (near the end; line 86 in my Xsession) that
there is a case statement.  This case statement chooses the session type:
gnome, kde, failsafe, or twm.  Since xdm runs this file and gives in an
argument of which of these environments to use, the case is satisfied.
Thus, the users .xsession file is never read.  So there is no way for the
user to run their own programs on KDE startup, as far as I can tell.
I traced the startup process through /usr/bin/startkde... no joy.

Thank you.
-Mike Schwager