[kde-doc-english]KDM distant connections

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Feb 28 20:39:20 CET 2003

On Friday 28 February 2003 10.41, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been told by Yves, a new KDE user, that there's nothing in our
> documentation to explain how to let KDM offer a distant connection (XDMCP
> protocol).
>
> He is under KDE 3.0 and I explained him that he should modify
> 	$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xaccess
> He said that it worked out.
>
> I think it would be nice to explain that manipulation in the doc. Moreover,
> it would be better to allow to configure that in kcontrol, but in the
> meantime we could document the manual procedure.
>
> I have asked Yves to explain exactly what he did and what he was exactly
> trying to do (which machine does what, etc). Whoever takes this
> documentation tasklet, please contact him directly to get that information.

I have some work from Ossi (KDM maintainer) to merge into the kdm doc, and I
use xdmcp (with remote KDM) all the time, so I can quite likely have a go at
this.

That leaves two remaining problems:
1: kdm's doc doesn't have a maintainer, so it looks like that'll be me for a
while, unless someone speaks up now
2: kdm's doc isn't accessible anywhere in KHelpCenter.  I might file that as a
bug, since we keep forgetting to do anything about it, the problem boils down
to, KDM doesn't install a .desktop file

Anyway, after a hectic few weeks past, I have more time in the near future,
and will catch up on a whole lot of things in the next week or so.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/