[kde-doc-english]What's the schedule?

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Aug 22 01:37:02 CEST 2003

On Thursday 21 August 2003 17.51, Jonathan Singer wrote:
> Sorry I've been out of touch for so long! I had an enormous series of
> experiments that I was forced to do singlehandedly that kept me working
> continuously for a year and a half. It did work out nicely -- I've
> developed a new way of mapping genes in mice that's identified regions
> affecting obesity, anxiety and cholesterol levels. I'd like to link to a
> publication but that's stalled while everyone else squabbles over who gets
> to take how much credit for my work.

Academia, always changing, always the same.  Sounds fascinating, and I hope
you get plenty of the credit for yourself!

> Now I'm looking for a new job so if anyone knows anyone in the
> pharmaceutical or biotech industry, I'd appreciate any help. At this point,
> relocation to anywhere sounds good.
>
> Anyway, between that and my switching largely to MacOS X, my attention to
> KDE has slipped (although I've joined the group working on getting a native
> KDE running on OS X) but things have lightened up and I'm going to try to
> catch up on my KDE documentation and proofreading responsibilities,
> starting with that bit about using Unicode in Konsole that I wrote months
> ago and never committed.

I'm really thrilled to see you back, you've been missed dreadfully, but it
sounds like you've been having fun while away, or at the very least, keeping
yourself busy!

> What's the current timetable? Are there any imminent freezes, for features
> or for text strings? I've completely lost track.

KOffice is due for freeze on the 28th - if you feel like diving into any
proofreading in there, go right ahead, if you can get anything done it would
rock.  If not, that's ok, it's a pretty tight timeframe.  I'm jumping around
in the kpresenter doc, and not sure that I can get any more than that done in
time on my own.

KDE itself, is wide open, and likely to be for quite a long while yet, there's
no schedule set at all yet.  The Kastle conference starts this week, with a
week long  hack fest the week after.  We might possibly see a schedule set
after that, but for sure there'll be plenty of changes going on in CVS.

> By the way, I see there's a KHexEdit 2 in kdenonbeta -- looks like I may
> finally get to make a change in that document for the first time in years!!

Talk about moving that into kdelibs for re-use in other apps.. I'm not sure
it's an actual application, but a widget that could be embedded, so you may
not get to change khexedit after all :)

Regards, and welcome back!
- --
Lauri Watts