[kde-doc-english]Application launcher vs. K menu

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Thu Sep 26 10:14:52 CEST 2002

Hello,

It looks like there's an inconsistency in the docs.

Sometimes we speak about the "application launcher", sometimes about the "K
menu". I propose we change everything to "K menu", because :

1) "Application launcher" evokes very little. It took me a while before I
understood that it was the K menu. On the contrary, "K menu" is very easy to
understand.

2) The panel itself can be used to launch applications, with its many buttons.
There's also the small dialog box that you get when pressing Alt-F2 and that
is used to launch applications. Both would deserve as well the very imprecise
name of "application launcher".

3) The K menu is not only used to launch applications. For example it's used
to log out. No need to be under Linux if you want to experience the same as
with Window's "start button => stop".

4) In the same doc, we also speak about "application launchers" when we speak
about the panel's menus, thus adding to the confusion.

Comments, flames, etc?

--
Éric Bischoff
KDE : ad expugnandum tabulam scriptoriam suam