[kde-doc-english]update

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Thu Nov 28 23:18:44 CET 2002

Le Thursday 28 November 2002 22:02, Frederik Fouvry a écrit:
> Hi,
>
> I've updated the DTD and the template.  The DocBook version that
> should be used from now on is 4.2.  The old version (4.1.2) will
> remain available for some time, to make sure that old documents
> can be validated as well.  The version before that has been
> removed.
>
> If you update a document, please also adapt the FPI from 4.1.2 to
> 4.2.

I suggest this is done in HEAD branch only.

> One extension (which was the only one) has been removed, which
> makes that the DTD is again a strict subset of DocBook, i.e. all
> KDE documentation that uses the new FPI will be valid DocBook
> documents

Cool!!!

> (you will only be able to perform the validation though
> when you have all general entity definitions).
>
> Two changes for names:
>
> You can surround the author name(s) with the tags <personname>.

The authors can do it, but should they do it, Lauri ?

> The <affiliation><address> tags can go.  <email> is now allowed
> in author :-)

This one is great!!! The simplification should occur systematically. What
about changing all FPIs and removing all <affiliation> tags in one go ?

> An example of the simplified format is in
> template.docbook.

Could you make the default date more recent in the template too ?

> You may well ask why on earth you'd add <personname>.  This
> concerns the second change.  For documentation contributors,
> there's now a file entities/contributors.entities where you can
> define an entity for your name and email address.  (Two examples
> are given in that file.  More will undoubtedly follow.)  That is
> only possible in XML because of the introduction of <personname>.
> The author information is now much more friendly-looking (IMHO ;-):
>
> <author>&FirstName.M.LastName; &FirstName.M.LastName.mail;</author>

I don't understand.

> The same goes for the other contributors.  These entities can
> also be used (almost) anywhere else in the text.  This should
> greatly help to keep emailaddresses up-to-date, but also to have
> a consistent markup of personnames in the documentation.
>
> Translators will have to do the same for in
> <lg>/contributor.entities, but that is not set up yet (of course,
> user.entities can be used for the time being).

Have a look at the way we do in the French team. Please note that we make a
distinction between translators and proofreaders. And one could imagine other
types of contributors too (like proofreaders for the English original,
editors and authors).

--
Journalist: "What do you think about occidental civilization?"
Gandhi: "That would be an excellent idea."