[kde-doc-english]Documentation monsters

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Mon Nov 25 14:28:21 CET 2002

Hi all,

I examined a bit the statistics, and it appears that the biggest docs are :

	kdenetwork/kmail		920 messages
	kdebase/konqueror	750 messages
	kdeedu/kvoctrain	670 messages
	koffice/kspread		665 messages
	kdepim/korganizer	603 messages

Those docs are hard to translate, as _all_ the messages of a po file need to
be translated before the corresponding docbook file can be generated.

So I would suggest that those docs are split into several docbook files. Each
file could contain one or more chapters, or any other division that makes
sense with respect to the organization of each document. The ideal would be
divisions of 50-200 messages each, which would mean:

	kdenetwork/kmail		~ 7 parts
	kdebase/konqueror	~ 6 parts
	kdeedu/kvoctrain	~ 5 parts
	koffice/kspread		~ 5 parts
	kdepim/korganizer	~ 5 parts

Of course these values are a rule of the thumb, there could be more or less
divisions, depending on the organization of each documentation.

I can help with regenerating the templates and copying the translated po's if
you need me to, Lauri.

Of course, that can only be done when the freeze will be broken ;-).

Comments, suggestions, and flames are welcome, as usually.

--
Journalist: "What do you think about occidental civilization?"
Gandhi: "That would be an excellent idea."