[kde-doc-english]Linux newbie would like to help out with documentation and starting a LUG

Brad Bender benderb at msu.edu
Mon Nov 18 09:47:26 CET 2002

I am sending you this message from a Windows ME machine because I can’t
connect through my phone modem to my Michnet ISP provider through Red Hat
7.2. I have a dual boot system here at home. I am getting an error Number
16, from the man pppd pages, “the link was terminated by the modem hanging
up”. I wish I could figure that out. I have Red Hat 7.2 on my desktop, and I
am just starting to learn to use Linux. I really believe in the open source
movement, but I am having trouble getting the knack of Linux. Desktop help
is difficult to find for the Newbie. I would like to get a local Linux User
Group going here in Escanaba, Michigan because there isn’t an obvious one
anywhere around. I am taking an introductory course in Linux/Unix right now
at our local community college, Bay De Noc Community College. My classmates
are all Linux Newbies, but are very interested in a Microsoft alternative,
because many of us feel like Microsqueeze  is too driven by world domination
at all costs.

I found the kppp help section by merely navigating to KDE help center |
Application Manuals | Internet | Internet dialer . The modem settings are
another matter. Internet | Dialup configuration| Internet Connections. To
find this help requires quite a selection process because there are so many
menu choices everywhere I turn. I realize that it will get easier as I learn
Linux, but it is daunting. I would like to learn more about how to help out.
Getting Linux help often requires getting online, my problem is I can’t get
online, arghhhhh. When I do figure this all out I would like to spare other
Linux Newbies the same grief.

Sincerely,

Brad Bender
Operations forester