[kde-doc-english]Re: Folder/Directory

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Wed May 8 12:31:38 CEST 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002 12:02:49 +0200, Éric Bischoff wrote:

>On Wednesday 08 May 2002 05:55, John Knight wrote:
>> I answered this once and noone gave a reply to me.

This thing was discussed on kde-i18n-doc and kde-doc-english over and
over (maybe before you joined the team). I guess nobody felt like
starting it again.

>> Why must we have a
>> 'folder' at all? This was only a Windows invention (I think) that helps out
>> the computing community in no way at all.

Consistency helps the community quite a lot. It is what KDE mostly is
about.

So the only question was which of the 2 terms to chose. "Directory" is
the Unix/Linux term and just "feels" better to many Unix/Linux people
(myself included). "Folder" is the term that's used in most graphic
user enviroments (therefore most of ours users will know and expect
it), and it fits better to our icons. Therefore by far the most people
voted for "folder" and wanted to keep "directory" only when there's a
clear reference to the system/command line.

>Let's numeber your proposal as "option C" then.

I'd rather not start this whole discussion again. But okay: Is really
somebody for keeping the present mess? or for replacing every
occurrence of "folder" with "directory"? And if so: why?

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/