[kde-doc-english]Re: Incorrect Plural Form in kdebase/kfindpart

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed May 8 12:08:48 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 21:36, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> Hi Eugene,
>
> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 19:17, you wrote:
> > #: kfwin.cpp:282
> > msgid ""
> > "_n: Do you really want to delete the selected file?\n"
> > "Do you really want to delete the selected files?"
> >
> > I think number of files must be passed as argument:
> >
> > "Do you really want to delete %n selected files?"
> >
> > For example in Russian/Belarusian 21 and 1 spelled as file,
> > not files.
> >
> > %n can be enclose in <b>%n</b> as some another messages
> > do...
>
> I'm not sure how this works and even how to fix it. Don't you just have a
> line for each plural?
>
> Pseudo language:
> "_n: Do you really want to delete the selected file?\n" (1 files)
> "Do you really want to delete the selected files?" (2 files)
> "Do you really want to delete the selected files++?" (many files)
>
> CCing kde-i18n-doc and kde-doc-english, as I don't really know what I'm
> talking about.

%n has to be part of the plural form. It doesn't need to be in the singular
form, but it has to be in the plural. Otherwise the i18n form is abused and
should be replaced by a if (n == 1) i18n("The file") else i18n("The files")
but to have the numbers is a bit easier to understand I'd say.

Greetings, Stephan