[kde-doc-english]checking thesaurus documentation

Frederik Fouvry fouvry at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Fri May 3 11:18:11 CEST 2002

| > > These are words that don't have a "meaning" but only a grammatical
| > > function, e.g. "if".
| >
| > I think that, in grammar, the correct generic word for prepositions,
| > conjunctions, etc is "connectors". Anyone please correct me if I'm right.

I've never heard of the term "connectors" in this context, at
least not in English.  But it describes roughly what function
words are and do.

Daniel said there were only five function words in the thesaurus.
Taking up on this: the function words form a "closed class",
i.e. only very rarely one gets added (contrary to nouns, verbs
and adjectives, which continuously change), and, like most closed
classes in languages, their number is fairly small (a few hundred
if that many at all).

| Even better : correct me if I'm wrong.
|
| *sigh* ;-)

:->