[kde-doc-english]Re: Linux Documentation Projects invites KDE and everybody to hook to "Lampadas"

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Fri May 3 01:00:14 CEST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 06:34:16PM +0200, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first -- sorry for crossposting, I don't know which would be the
> appropriate place to discuss this.
>
> The Linux Docuemntation Project have now put a long discussed new
> tool to work -- "Lampadas". Announcement is at
>
>     http://www.tldp.org/ldpwn/ldpwn-2002-04-30.html
>
> One important sentence of it is this:
>
>    Not only do we hope to mirror KDE, Gnome and other Free
>    documentation, but we hope that some of the technology
>    being developed for Lampadas will make its way into other
>    end-user help systems, such as Gnome and KDE's help browsers.
>
> The technology includes conversion tools to and from DocBook XMl,
> a  WikiWiki that allows easy authoring of documents as simple
> (near-ASCII) text (which finally gets converted into DocBook
> automatically), utilities to help administer a huge amount of
> documents, authors and translations, an interface to CVS, etc.

It does not include a WikiWiki. The LDP Database did have a very
rudimentary WikiWiki, but I will not be carrying it over into
Lampadas. The reason is that it is better for me to have the ability
to pull from existing Wiki systems than to try to reproduce them. Why
reinvent the wheel?

I did create the WikiText to DocBook converter, wt2db. But WikiText is
a format, not the actual online system.

Now Lampadas *does* have an online editing capability, but it is not a
Wiki. It actually stores your changes into the cvs (which can be made
optional if you don't want cvs integration).

> To me, Lampadas seems to have some really cool and unique features.

Thanks. Obviously I think so too.

> Could our people designing our documentation infrastructure and the
> tools to produce and maintain them please check it out?

Also be sure to see the "Development" section of my website, where I
keep my personal notes. Although I think some of them are outdated
now, having been altered in the implementation somewhat.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org