[kde-doc-english]Fwd: kate again (Proofreading needed)

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Fri Mar 15 20:07:59 CET 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 20:09, Jonathan wrote:
> On Monday 11 March 2002 07:20, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > One of the translators asked for some help translating the passage below
> > into English so he could translate it to something else :)
> >
> > I've stared at this now for a few minutes, and I'm not sure how to fix it
> > either.  Anders, Jon, Malcolm, help :)  (I barely understand regexp's at
> > all, or perhaps this would be clearer for me.  In fact, anything I did
> > learn about them was from reading this very document.)
>
> Hi Lauri, Anders and interested others:
>
>  All the details on Regular Expressions are contained in the man page for
> ed. ed is an old editor. Anyway do "man ed"  to see all the regex stuff.
> Another good online source is  The RUTE tutorial. It is at :
>
>  http://rute.sourceforge.net
>
> available as a free pdf download

This is partially true, but the ed manual covers regexps as interpreted by ed
(which is probably using the standrad regex engine) - not nessecarily
compatible.

The regex I describe in the manual chapter is qregexp, which is supporting
some of the options of perl regexps, and trying to use a similar syntax -
except of cause ther is no delimiter (slash pr default in perl)

And the purpose of the chapter is as much to explain the concepts of regexps
in general as to document the formalities. Which I hope it does, apart from
my pidgin english:)

-anders