[kde-doc-english]Fwd: kate again (Proofreading needed)

Malcolm Hunter malcolm.hunter at gmx.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 18:31:35 CET 2002

> One of the translators asked for some help translating the passage below
> into
> English so he could translate it to something else :)
>
> I've stared at this now for a few minutes, and I'm not sure how to fix it
>
> either.  Anders, Jon, Malcolm, help :)  (I barely understand regexp's at
> all,
> or perhaps this would be clearer for me.  In fact, anything I did learn a
> bout
> them was from reading this very document.)
>
> "Because regular expression software supporting the concept of <emphasis>
> back references</emphasis> saves the entire matching part of the string a
> well as sub-patterns enclosed in parentheses, given some means of access
> those references, we could get our hands on either the whole match (when
> searching a text document in an editor with a regular expression, that is
> often marked as selected) or either the name found, or the last part of t
> he
> verb."
>
> My best try (sans markup):
>
> "Regular expression software supporting the concept of back references sa
> ve
> the entire matching part of the string, not just the parts matched by
> sub-patterns enclosed in parentheses.  In the example given, this gives u
> s a
> way to access either the whole match, often used for example in a search
> of a
> text document, where the editor will mark the matches as selected.  It al
> so
> allows us access to matches on the name, or the last part of the verb say
> s or
> said"

Well your's is a lot clearer..

I've added punctuation and a couple of other changes:

'Regular expression software, supporting the concept of back references,
saves
the entire matching part of the string, not just the parts matched by
sub-patterns enclosed in parentheses.  In the example given, this gives us a

way to access the whole match, often used for example in a search of a
text document, where the editor will mark the matches as selected.  It also
provides access to matches on the name, or the last part of the verb
constructs
"says" or "said".'

Maybe drop "verb" altogether and use 'last part of "says" or "said".'

Regards,
Malcolm

--
KDE Proof Reading Team