[kde-doc-english]Re: Printing glossary

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Wed Jun 26 20:05:01 CEST 2002

Am Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2002 19:13 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:

> Sorry -- what are PO translations?

POs are gettext files, used by KDE translators (in KBabel). For practical
reasons, the XML doc files are converted to this PO format and then converted
back to XML. Big files (like the helpcenter or the kcontrol modules) are
split in many small PO files to make them easier to handle. However, we have
to provide 100% translations of _all_ the part files. Otherwise the
re-conversion to XML won't work.

IOW: While it is possible to have a partly translated Konqueror GUI it is not
possible to have a partly translated Konqueror documentation in a localized
KDE. (At least if I understood correctly; I still have not found the time to
really grasp the new doc translation system.)

> I wrote the glossary. I know were to find it in KDE-3. I don't see any
> relation to any FAQ.

Yes. Sorry. Shortly after sending the message I realized that the glossary is
not part of the FAQ but of another Helpcenter subsection. Nevertheless it is
apparently integrated with the other KHelpcenter files which seems
impractical for the above reasons. Probably the question should go to Lauri
(or Stephan Kulow if he is back). Don't know who is doing the split up /
re-integration work regarding the bigger documents.

Sorry about the confusion,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org