[kde-doc-english]Script to check the GUI texts used in the documentation, and to search for their translation

Eric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Tue Feb 12 17:14:25 CET 2002

Hi,

I finally wrote the script I was speaking about. The syntax is the same as
the syntax used by "update_xml". For example, you might type
	./check_gui_texts fr kwin4
or	./check_gui_texts en kword
at the root of kde-i18n module.

For the doc writers: it helps to verify that the GUI texts they are speaking
about do really exist with this orthographe. I guess you will get a few
surprises if you start checking the existing docs now ;-).

For the translators: in addition, it proposes the corresponding msgstr.

Known bugs:
- For the moment, the script looks where the GUI text could be in not enough
locations. The variable "$were" could be computed more intelligently.
- For the moment the script works only with latin-1 alphabets and assumes
that "recode" is installed. This too could probably easily get fixed.
- I'm not sure that the script behaves correctly if the gui text is found in
po files at the same time. It seems to me that it stops at the first match.

Claudiu, could you store it somewhere on i18n.kde.org/tools? Unless someone
proposes a better place for it.