[kde-doc-english]New FPI's, New Entities, Other HEAD only changes

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Dec 2 13:39:17 CET 2002

Hi all,

I tried to follow the conversation about entities, but I had the flu and just
couldn't make sense of it over the weekend.  Today, I feel better, have
strong coffee, and can join in.

Here's what I think we should do:
1: Change the FPI's in one sweep through to the new 4.2 version, instead of
letting them trickle in.  I'll do this on the weekend if there are no
objections.

2: Those docs that are currently not valid because they're using a very old
DTD version (4.1, now gone from CVS) I will just pop up to 4.1.2 in the
meantime, to get them compiling for people using HEAD.  I have confirmation
that fixes the problems in the interim, and I can't test myself with 4.2 for
another day or two until I have everything compiled again.

Now for the entities, lets see if I have this straight.

We have entities like this:

Konqui.Dragon

and

Konqui.Dragon.email
'<email>konqui at kde.org</email>'

<personname> (and therefore the entity) is valid anywhere we might want to use
a name, including in the <author> element, and in a <para>

The french team, meanwhile, uses these:

traducteurEricBischoff       '<othercredit
fran<C3><A7>aise</contrib></othercredit>'
<!ENTITY relecteurEricBischoff        '<othercredit
de la documentation fran<C3><A7>aise</contrib></oth
ercredit>'>

And Éric is a good example to use, because, he is in various places a
developer, an author, an editor, and a translator.

So, could not the French team now do this (in HEAD):

traducteurEricBischoff '<othercredit
role="translator">&eric.bischoff;&eric.bischoff.mail;</othercredit>
relecteurEricBischoff  '<othercredit
role="reviewer">&eric.bischoff;&eric.bischoff.mail;
<contrib>Relecture de la documentation fran<C3><A7>aise</contrib></oth
ercredit>'>

and the credits for translators in the credits-and-licenses chapter, wouldn't
hardly need any changing at all:

From: <para>Traduction fran<C3><A7>aise par &BenoitCosandier;.</para>
<para>Relecture par &LudovicGrossard;.</para>

To: <para>Traduction francaise par &Benoit.Cosandier;
&Benoit.Cosandier.email;</para>
<para>Relecture par &Ludovic.Grossard; &Ludovic.Grossard.email;</para>

Meanwhile, we in English (and also the translations) get the benefit of being
able to drop names in pretty much anywhere in the text, since the original
<personname> element is permitted as a child of just about everything.  Best
of all nobody will ever have their name spelt wrong again, and email
addresses will be a heck of a lot easier to keep up with.

So, do I have that all straight?

Regards,
- --
Lauri Watts