[kde-doc-english]Re: Translating of jokes in programs.

Jacek Stolarczyk jacek at mer.chemia.polsl.gliwice.pl
Fri Apr 26 16:23:26 CEST 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Piotr Szymański wrote:
[...]
> > Which brings up the inevitable question: what is the status of the
> > directory -> folder transition? Any chance that we are going to see this in
> > 3.1?
> So in our translations we should get rid of directories in favor of folders? I
> have never heard about this idea, but I will be having much free time on 1-6
> of May and I could replace dirs with folders if you want to.

Calm down, Piotr :-) I don't think such change requires respective changes
in our translations. It's up to the team to decide whether to use only
folders and folder/directory duel. And I think we should stick to the
latter.

Just to reiterate my point of view (which has been discussed here a couple
of times):
directory: physical space on disk or an entry in filesystem table
folder: visualization of the above, sth the user interacts with in
konqueror or sees on his/her desktop, in broader sense also all virtual,
mail etc. folders. "New folder" makes perfect sense in RMB menu on
desktop (because as a result user sees a new 'folder' on the desktop) but
"directory" seems a choice better in all lower-level operations (you
aren't going to change 'cd' into 'cf', are you?).

Regards,

Jacek Stolarczyk
jstolarz at kde.org
Coordinator of Polish translations of KDE