Regarding the policy proposal
Lasath Fernando
kde at lasath.org
Sun Sep 27 22:55:51 BST 2026
Does collaborate.kde.org give an easy way for people to make comments and for the author to iterate based on that feedback?
Forgive my ignorance - I've never used it before.
But I would like to point out that gitlab MRs are a process that most contributors are already very familiar with for iterating.
Cheers,
Lasath
PS: I think whenever I reply-all, the email chain splits because I don't seem to have permission to post to kde-devel
On Sun, Sep 27, 2026, at 16:52, Akseli Lahtinen wrote:
> On Sunday 27 September 2026 23:28:39 Eastern European Summer Time
> Thiago Masato Costa Sueto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As most of you know, the last LLM policy proposal draft got rather heated,
>> to say the least. It was locked and made confidential.
>>
>> I'd like to overtake the work for a new proposal. I've been brainstorming
>> this idea for several months at this point, even making a stance document
>> for my own personal use (with decent reception from the people I showed it
>> to).
>>
>> I was recommended to keep the new proposal private to be workshopped with
>> well established contributors first, and only when it's mature enough make
>> it public.
>>
>> Since a significant number of people was at Akademy, it's reasonable to
>> wait at least a week for people to rest and settle in after returning from
>> the trip. That's the minimum timeframe for people to actually have a chance
>> to engage with this subject I believe.
>>
>> I actually already have an initial draft ready. It already addresses most
>> of the issues present in the previous draft, with some opinionatedness of
>> course. I'm rather confident it should have generally good reception, and
>> that we can focus only on working the thing out and seeing where it goes
>> from there.
>>
>> As to how to organize this "private sharing with core contributors", I was
>> thinking of a temporary private repository with collaborator invites so we
>> can make comments on individual parts more easily (since Gitlab lacks
>> private MRs). I feel like the mailing list made the discussion very
>> difficult to keep track of. We could also just do the Easy Way and make a
>> confidential issue, but I was recommended against it, as the Confidential
>> setting would still include all people with dev accounts.
>
> I believe this is a good way to go about it.
> Despite the situation, this topic still needs to be worked through.
>
> PS. Disregard the email that went to release team. For some reason,
> Kmail
> decided that thats the correct address, instead of plasma-devel. Weird,
> maybe a bug.
>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Thiago / Herz
>>
>
> - Akseli
More information about the kde-devel
mailing list