GIF support in Spectacle

Igor Mironchik igor.mironchik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:22:11 BST 2026


On Friday, 18 September 2026 14:56:57 Moscow Standard Time David Edmundson 
wrote:
> We do have gif recording in spectacle.
> Options -> Configure -> Video Saving

Oh, I didn't know about this feature in Spectacle. You opened my eyes. Thank 
you and sorry...

Sure, in this case my proposal is meaningless.

> 
> Our relevant code is in kpipewire via ffmpeg.  I have no idea what
> ffmpeg uses internally.
> I wouldn't want to have a separate path to ffmpeg in our KDE code,
> ffmpeg is an abstraction layer and abstracting an abstraction layer is
> a bad design.
> 
> David
> 
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 9:58 AM Igor Mironchik <igor.mironchik at gmail.com> 
wrote:
> > Hello.
> > 
> > I write with a small offer to KDE. I know that KDE prefer Qt's
> > implementation and nothing covered by Qt should be in KDE. I know, I
> > know. But the following thing is partially covered by Qt...
> > 
> > I'd like to have ability in Spectacle to save screen recordings in GIF. I
> > have my own application for GIF recordings/editing. On Linux at this time
> > X11 supported only. I wait for refuse of KDE from X11 for Wayland
> > support.
> > 
> > Ok. What I have? I have a small library for reading/writing GIF with its
> > own quantization algorithm. Not the best quality, but quality/performance
> > approximately one of the best.
> > 
> > Repository of the library - https://github.com/igormironchik/qgiflib
> > 
> > Repository of the applications -
> > https://github.com/igormironchik/gif-tools
> > 
> > Binaries for openSUSE Tumbleweed:
> > 
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:imironchik/gif-tools
> > 
> > https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/imironchik/my/
> > 
> > It would be great to have a possibility in Spectacle to save recordings in
> > GIF format, and my library can help with it. I'd be happy to start
> > incubation in KDE for this library if authors of Spectacle would like to
> > use it.
> > 
> > Please think on wy words.
> > 
> > Thank you.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 265 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-devel/attachments/20260918/ec9f3bdb/attachment.sig>


More information about the kde-devel mailing list