KDE Gear projects with failing CI (master) (4 June 2024)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Jun 8 05:22:28 BST 2024

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 11:07 AM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:

> +cc Matthias
>

> On 6/5/24 1:16 PM, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> hyphen
> >>
> >> We've a number of projects that use dashes in their name, so not sure
> i'm
> >> entirely pleased with the idea that we should be abandoning them.
> >> Do we know how the Appstream folks came to their decision and on what
> >> basis/authority they made that? They have a terrible disregard for the
> >> downstream impact of their decisions...
> >
> > https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/162
> > Interestingly, this issue was filed by our own Nate.
>
> In my defense, this was almost seven years ago, and I was barely a KDE
> person back then!

I would also say that the change request has been misinterpreted by the
Appstream folks.

You highlighted that dashes within that issue the domain part aren't
allowed by the D-Bus specification, but are allowed in the
application/sub-domain part.
Based on that an application D-Bus name such as org.kde.massif-visualiser
is perfectly fine - yet appstream disallows it.

I would say that is a bug on the part of appstream and the true fix here is
for appstream to allow dashes within the final part - then we can put
massif-visualiser and kwalletmanager back to the names they should and our
issues with apps.kde.org will go away.

> Nate

Cheers,
Ben