Reviving lightdm-kde-greeter upstream

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 14:15:51 GMT 2023

On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 9:10 AM Justin Zobel <justin.zobel at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a long running discussion [1] going on about incubation SDDM into KDE.
>
> * 1 https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/issues/91
>
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023, 19:19 Anton Golubev, <golubevan at altlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am involved in the development of the ALT Linux distribution. Some
>> time ago we started developing the lightdm-kde-greeter fork and I am
>> currently maintaining it[1]. I also push it on gitlab[2]. In addition to
>> porting to Qt5, some features have been added, such as choosing a
>> keyboard layout and connecting to the network. This greeter is currently
>> used by default in our KDE-based builds.
>>
>> I was given the idea to revive this project in the upstream[3].
>> Personally, I like the idea, and might look into it if someone else
>> finds it useful, and I will be given appropriate access.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> [1]: https://git.altlinux.org/gears/l/lightdm-kde-greeter.git
>> [2]: https://gitlab.com/golubevan/lightdm-kde-greeter
>> [3]: https://invent.kde.org/unmaintained/lightdm

I think that given someone is actively working on the LightDM greeter
and wants to use it, it should be fine to get it hosted in KDE
infrastructure.

LightDM has some issues itself though, notably that Canonical has more
or less abandoned it and it doesn't yet support running without X11.

And I suppose the LightDM Qt bindings need to be ported to Qt 6 too...