Retiring Phabricator - Migrating tasks to Gitlab

Wolthera griffinvalley at gmail.com
Mon May 22 16:17:50 BST 2023

Great, pretty excited for the tasks to move to issues :)

On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 9:01 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 10:10 PM Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Also, some phabricator tasks have hierarchy, is there an equivalent in gitlab? There are tasks in gitlab too but I'm not sure it is always the equivalent.
>

> Gitlab tasks can be related/linked together (and this can hopefully be brought across), however they cannot be flagged as blocking/being blocked by other tasks.
> The functionality to create a task hierarchy through blocked relationships is only available in Gitlab EE.

Gitlab Free (that invent uses) also has the difference between
'Issues' and 'Tasks', the former being the equivalent to Phab tasks,
the latter being intended as an atomic subtask, which allows for one
level of dependency. On top of that, gitlab keeps tack of checklists
in the UI, so some minor amount of hierarchy is possible.

Overall, I've noticed that milestones are best for collecting tasks
related to a release or a defined project (Say, a new tool, importer
or workflow), while the boards are better for if you need to track the
state of multiple issues, because Gitlab Free doesn't allow filtering
of issues on a board (only having columns for a specific issue label),
which effectively makes it a different UI for the issue list. Because
the board columns map to a label, it makes sense to have columns be
converted to labels for the vast majority of projects, yes.

--
Wolthera