MR Gardening - A discussion, please leave your input!

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Mon Mar 6 14:18:42 GMT 2023

Hi,

We should never close a MR automatically. Only a maintainer of a project
or the author itself should close a MR. The decision if a MR should be
closed or not is often depending on a context (e.g. a MR required another
MR to be merged first and it is taking more time than expected, the
author is busy with other things but will eventually come back to it, ...)
and a script is unable to see this.

I do not mind poking people semi-regularly (every 6 months or so), but again
this should probably be done manually and with a small personalized message
for example: "Hi, I really like this work, do you intent to continue working
on it or can I take over" than a generic message that feels fake.

I really hate communicating with robots instead of with humans and I really
see the trends of trying to automatize all our interaction with dumb robots and
chat bots in our society really worrying.

If we want to automatize, we should instead try to list the stale MRs and
maybe send the list to the mailing list once a month so that people are
reminded about them and take a look at which one they may be able to unlock.

Cheers,
Carl