PSA: Mark SVG as binary

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Mar 3 22:11:08 GMT 2023

On Sat, Mar 4, 2023 at 11:03 AM Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:

> On Freitag, 3. März 2023 22:49:06 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > In all cases i'm aware of, the files have been in either SVG, JSON or XML
> > in format.
> >
> > To fix this, and allow changes to be merged please add a ".gitattributes"
> > file at the top level of the Git repository you are seeing this behaviour
> > in on the master branch with the following contents:
> >
> > *.svg binary
>
> Wouldn't replacing the *.svg files with compressed SVGs also solve the
> problem?
> If git is anyway told to treat the SVGs as binary, then keeping them as
> uncompressed text files makes little sense to me. Of course, there may be
> valid
> exceptions, but I'm certain that in general replacing the uncompressed
> SVGs
> with compressed SVGs would be fine.

Yes it would, however that would defeat the ability of Git's data
compression capabilities to keep the size of our repositories down so we
should still keep them as text files.
The .gitattributes file as far as I am aware does not influence that part
of Git, it is used by the parts relating to generating diffs and converting
EOL formats between operating systems (among others).

> Regards,
> Ingo

Cheers,
Ben