Frameworks master is Qt6 now

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Mon Jan 23 16:23:56 GMT 2023

Am 19.01.23 um 13:44 schrieb Nicolas Fella:
> Am 18.01.23 um 23:58 schrieb Nicolas Fella:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the master branch of frameworks repositories now required Qt6 to build.
>> Maintenance of KF5 continues in the "kf5" branch.
>>
>> Those using kdesrc-build make sure your kdesrc-builrc contains
>> "branch-group kf5-qt5", then it will switch to the correct branch
>> automatically.
>>
>> Those building manually please adjust your workflow accordingly.
>>
>> Any merge requests for frameworks should target Qt6/master (unless they
>> are not applicable there). If the change should be backported to KF5
>> cherry-pick it to the kf5 branch after merging.
>>
>> Note that for the time being the kf5 branch has to stay compatible with
>> Qt6. This is required to keep the currently existing Qt6 builds working.
>>
>> This does *not* mean that master is now open for any kind of breaking
>> change. We will announce more on this soon.
>
> Assuming no major issues with our tooling crop up soon we will proceed
> with the following changes:
>
> - Bump the KF_VERSION in master to 5.240.0. At some point we will
> release one or more beta versions, which will have 5.250.0 etc as
> version number. This is to follow the practice of .80/.90 version
> numbers, but slightly adjusted to account for 255 being the technical
> upper limit.
>
> - Drop build system code to build with Qt5
>
> - Rename library/target names to KF6
>
> - Drop deprecated API. To ensure compatibility with existing Qt6 builds
> this will initially be done only for API that was deprecated before
> 5.100 since that is what the current Qt6 CI enforces. Eventually we of
> course want to drop everything deprecated, but that requires porting
> consumers of it first.
>
> I expect this to happen over the next few days. I will announce once
> this is done and master is open for more invasive changes.

Hi,

as an update to this:

We are currently progressing nicely with this, but are not done yet.

Some amount of instability/breakage is expected, so *I do not recommend*
to try and use frameworks master until things have settled down a bit.

Doing so prematurely would only cause extra work for everyone involved.

I will announce once things have settled enough to start working on more
things.

Cheers

Nicolas