Proposal to deprecate KFloppy

Heiko Becker heiko.becker at kde.org
Fri Apr 28 14:27:35 BST 2023

On Friday, 28 April 2023 15:16:29 CEST, Nate Graham wrote:
> Does it work for *anyone* with a modern distro? If not, then I
> think archiving it makes sense. Time marches on. :)
>
> If it does work for *someone* with a modern distro then at the
> very least the UI needs to detect when it will be broken and
> tell this to the user in advance to prevent frustration.

I think it depends on the floppy kernel module, which should provide the
device nodes Jonathan seems to be missing. AFAIK this kernel module isn't
needed for "modern" floppy drives connected via USB though, but only for
the ancient internal ones. That being said, the kernel module is orphaned.

My personal opionion is that that's enough to stop releasing it (after
23.04.3). I also removed it from my distro downstream in 2015 and nobody
ever even mentioned it.

Regards,
Heiko