Proposal: KDE Invent based Incubator process

plata at mailbox.org plata at mailbox.org
Fri Oct 28 21:30:59 BST 2022

Hi all,

this is a proposal for the systematize initiative (https://phabricator.kde.org/T15627).

Motivation:
As I learned when I did the Incubator process myself, it doesn't encourage projects to join KDE - on the contrary, it's rather suited to scare them away.

Main issues with the current process:
- It is not obvious what are the required steps and how to follow them.
- If the process gets stuck, there's no way to find out why. In my case, the email simply never made it to the mailing list. I couldn't tell if that was the case or just nobody responded.
- It is rather difficult to find support.

Proposal:
Follow a similar approach to flathub, i.e. add an incubator repository in KDE Invent. Here, people can raise an issue/MR to add their project. Note: As everybody who's interested can watch the repository, the mailing list would not be used anymore.

This would have several advantages:

- Low entry barrier. Everyone with a KDE Invent account can easily start the process (even without understanding all required steps of the process).
- Traceability and transparency: the current status is always visible, it is easy to track open Incubator processes and monitor why they don't progress.
- Everybody can help unblocking Incubator processes, assisting in whatever question etc.

Looking forward for your feedback/opinions
Plata