systemmonitor plasma data engine

David Redondo kde at david-redondo.de
Wed Mar 23 08:41:02 GMT 2022

Am Dienstag, 22. März 2022, 19:48:50 CET schrieb Daniel Faust:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm the author of a small Plasma widget called Netspeed [1], which uses
> the
> systemmonitor data engine.
>
> This engine comes with ksysguard, which has been replaced by
> systemmonitor
> in some distributions. Some users even have issues installing ksysguard
> manually. It looks like without the data engine I will have to sunset
> the
> widget.
The engine comes with plasma-workspace but relies on ksysguardd.

> Are there plans to maintain the systemmonitor data engine as part of a
> different or a separate package? Or are there any alternatives to using
> the
> systemmonitor data engine?
I fear not. As the plan for Plasma 6 is right now to drop data engines
entirely and use more 'proper modules' I also don't see a port of the
engine
to ksystemstats happening.
In the vain of the having bespoke libraries for things the alternative
for you
is to use the  Sensor[1] and/or SensorDataModel[2] in the
'org.kde.ksysguard.sensors' import. Those are powered by ksystemstats
and used
in plasma-systemmonitor/systemmonitor applets.

All the best,
David

[1]
https://api.kde.org/plasma/libksysguard/html/classKSysGuard_1_1Sensor.html