Debugging CI test failures

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 11:26:31 BST 2022

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 8:08 AM Thomas Friedrichsmeier <
thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 17:51:52 +0200
> Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > I suppose, I could try seting up some dummy test binaries, linking
> > against the various libraries, hoping to narrow down the problem that
> > way?
>
> Ok, that finally led to something. I have no idea, why this is
> happening, or how to fix it, but I have isolated QWebEngine as the
> troublemaker.
>
> relevant portion of CMakeLists.txt:
>
> add_executable(linktest linktest.cpp)
> target_link_libraries(linktest PRIVATE Qt5::Test Qt5::WebEngineWidgets)
> add_test(NAME rkward-linktest COMMAND linktest)
> ecm_mark_as_test(linktest)
>
> relevant code:
>
> https://invent.kde.org/education/rkward/-/blob/work/diagnose_testfailure/rkward/autotests/linktest.cpp
>
> result:
> https://invent.kde.org/education/rkward/-/jobs/359945
>
> (2/2 Test #2: rkward-linktest ..................Exit code 0xc0000135)
>
> Note that "new QWebEngineView();" does not even have to be called. It's
> enough that the line of code is present, directly or indirectly. In
> contrast - for instance - creating a KTextEditor::Document/View does
> not cause any trouble.

Interesting. When you build RKward on your local system do you use the
Craft cache or does your system build everything itself?
I wonder if the Craft binaries for WebEngineWidgets are broken - and MSVC
doesn't check down the full chain when it does it's linking.

> (In case you are wondering: That branch is a toy branch with only the
> Windows CI enabled, and intended to be deleted. Feel free to use it for
> further testing, should that help.)
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Thanks,