Approval request for feature idea

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Wed Jun 1 20:14:57 BST 2022

Hi,

On 6/1/22 20:41, samuel ammonius wrote:
> However, I still don't see the point of avoiding QSS because it seems to
> be able to do everything CSS can (besides transformations, which are the
> only difference that I've been able to find so far).

Sorry but then you're not looking very hard. Look at e.g. [1].

Just from a quick scroll-through, I find a lot of stuff QSS has never
heard about, such as animations, box-shadow, caret-color, clipping,
filter, float, advanced font options, text transform, text shadow, media
queries, blend mode, overflow, perspective, transitions, n-th-child
selectors, in general half the selectors, all CSS functions,
before/after content, etc etc etc.

But that's not even the problem. The problem is that QSS is not a style
by itself, it is applied *on top of* a style such as Fusion, and does
*not* give you full control over that style.

So what do you even want to achieve?

Do you want a fully customizable style? QSS isn't, it's not even *a*
style to begin with.

Do you want to apply some customization while preserving the base looks
of whatever style the user has configured? Then QSS is a nice thing but
unless you limit yourself to really basic stuff (mainly colors) some
widgets will look weird or broken in some base styles, or in some
applications. They might even break with colors alone, simply from the
fact that a style sheet is set at all.

I suggest we stop discussing this here at this point, I don't think it's
very productive. I'd recommend you try to make a complete style changing
appearance of all widgets (especially the more funky stuff: scrollbars,
checkable combo boxes, progress bars, tool buttons with dropdowns,
checkable menu items with icons, tree view items, ...) as you want them
to look like with QSS, and open a few complicated applications (krita,
dolphin, kdevelop, gwenview, the KDE file dialogs) with that style. I
recommend a dark style, it tends to make problems more obvious. Try to
make it perfect, like you'd actually want it to look like, not a
prototype. I hope this experience helps you understand the concerns
raised here. And if not -- well, maybe people here are wrong and this
idea will fly after all ;)

Greetings,
Sven

[1] https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/default.asp