Complex License in KI18n and KConfig Frameworks

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Wed Jan 19 19:15:48 GMT 2022

Hi Ayush,

thank you for bringing this topic up to the mailing list. From the choice of
licenses, IMHO it comes to either use a permissive license that is compatible
with as much source code as possible (that would be probably either MIT or
BSD-2-Clause) or using a smallest common denominator copyleft license to which
the code of the library is compatible (which would be "LGPL-2.1-only OR
LGPL-3.0-only OR LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-LGPL" AFAIS).

I am not sure, how much inspiration from the existing copyleft licensed code
is required when creating the bindings. If enough is required to say that you
are creating a derived work, then you should take the latter approach in order
to avoid copyright problem.

I am looking forward for further opinions :)

Best regards,
Andreas