Complex License in KI18n and KConfig Frameworks

Ayush Singh ayushdevel1325 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 04:10:35 GMT 2022

I am the author of [ki18n](https://crates.io/crates/ki18n) Rust
bindings and am currently working on bindings for
[kconfig](https://invent.kde.org/oreki/kconfig-rs) as a part of Season
of KDE.

When I was trying to decide on a License for KConfig bindings, I was
informed by Jos van den Oever, my mentor for SOK, that it would be
best to use a license that does not conflict with the upstream KDE
Framework. However, both KConfig and KI18n have different licenses for
different parts of the code. So I am not quite sure what the License
for the bindings should be.

Here is the License distribution for KConfig:
```
2  BSD-2-Clause
2  BSD-3-Clause
2  GPL-2.0-or-later
3  LGPL-2.0-only
5  LGPL-2.1-only OR LGPL-3.0-only OR LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-LGPL
28  MIT
75  LGPL-2.0-or-later
```

And here is the License distribution for KI18n:
```
5  CC0-1.0
6  LGPL-2.1-only OR LGPL-3.0-only OR LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-LGPL
9  BSD-3-Clause
14  ODbL-1.0
54  LGPL-2.0-or-later
```

So, what should be the License for the bindings for these Frameworks?
LGPL-2.0-or-later seems to be the most widely used in both cases.