Developer setups for user D-Bus service files?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Jan 12 00:37:41 GMT 2022

Am Dienstag, 11. Januar 2022, 22:49:47 CET schrieb David Edmundson:
> I did start another idea.
>
> If you populate the dev session environment variables *really* early
> must we even go through pam you can set your XDG_DATA_DIRS before DBus
> daemon has loaded it will then have the right stuff.
> I made a patch doing that: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1370
> which is merged but not released:

This triggered yet another idea with me, and I came across
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/environment.d.html
upon which I tried to add a file
/home/mydevuser/.config/environment.d/60-test.conf
with the content
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/mydevuser/my/share::${XDG_DATA_DIRS:-/usr/local/share/:/
usr/share/}
logged into a new session et voilĂ , the session D-Bus now sees my D-Bus
service files and starts the services as expected.

Something to investigate more post-sleep, at least for systemd systems?

Good night for today
Friedrich