Developer setups for user D-Bus service files?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Jan 11 23:22:33 GMT 2022

Am Dienstag, 11. Januar 2022, 22:49:47 CET schrieb David Edmundson:
> >at least with systemd controlled start (but possibly also before
>
> Since forever.

Okay, guessed so, as I had found decade old queries trying to solve similar
challenges, though systemd also is that age, thus was not that sure :)

> >So, what standard approach should we take as developers here?
>
> Personally I would say developers should avoid having a system
> installed KDE, you're only making life harder for yourself.

And for other users on the system (even one one's "safe" user account) which
would like to only run released and packaged software :)

> For systemd services...

Myself not yet into systemd services, currently only trying to get D-Bus
services working for user-local installs, but I guess this is related on
systemd systems?

> ----
> I did start another idea.
>
> If you populate the dev session environment variables *really* early
> must we even go through pam you can set your XDG_DATA_DIRS before DBus
> daemon has loaded it will then have the right stuff.
> I made a patch doing that: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1370
> which is merged but not released:

Is this something that could be achieved also by editing whatever config files
for now? And again in a way that it only is applied for a certain user
account?
Those X-SDDM-Env entries, they though also would be only global, so I would
need a separate workspace session config file, which then appears also for
everyone else as option on login, right? Not ideal for shared systems. And
also not perfect for a system where a user just wants their custom-made
utility software to run in their user account on the provided company
computer, like person working in a lab.

FWIW, I was hoping there was a way to add some entries to the D-Bus config
files, which would add a <servicedir> only for a certain user, or perhaps even
an <include> only done for a certain user (perhaps relying on
ignore_missing=yes).
But I found no such condition, and the <include> tags only works with final
strings by what I saw in the code, no variable substitution (doc/busconfig.dtd
is undocumented, boo).

Cheers
Friedrich