Tiny news project

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Sep 21 11:50:07 BST 2021

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 10:31 AM Aleix Quintana Alsius
<kinta at communia.org> wrote:

> GrĂ cies per contestar Aleix!
>
> Some days ago FHEK789 ask me to contribute to Alligator too. I saw the project when was coding Tiny News getting  some inspiration from it. But technically they are different. Alligator is a local aggregator, with a good logic when storing and obtaining the content via local storage database. Tiny news is a client of a remote aggregator, it doesn't deal with any feed protocol itself and delegates the backend work to others (Tiny Tiny Rss, Pocket, and i hope Nextcloud News soon). In some point i thought that some a connection to pim akregator would be done for those who want local aggregator but i ended up discarding it, as i didn't need it, and the only use case to satisfy until now was the case of myself.
>
> I also doubt if integrating it, mainly because the ones that use local aggregators doesn't use remote and viceversa. So maybe keeping them separate will make sense. On the other side the required frontend views are nearly identical so wrapping all use cases is something that is possible without traumatic changes...
>
> So contributions are welcome in tiny news project to integrate local aggregator but i think that is more work than adding some minor Tiny News features to excellent alligator : e.g. if it can easily integrate webengineview, feeds organized in tree categories, or flagging entries.... and keeping them as separate projects rather than make an app with features that rarely will be used at same time.
>
> Anyway, maybe the decision can be postponed depending on the demand, I am sure that some other cases happened when planning merge of features in other kde apps. So opinions are welcome...
>

> Finally about the repository, as you see the project is in gitlab.com, do you think that is it worth it to migrate the repo from gitlab.com to invent.kde.org?
>
> Thank's i Salut!
>

> On 21/9/21 1:01, Aleix Pol wrote:
>
> Hola Aleix!
> Thanks for reaching out.
>
> Have you looked at Alligator?
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/alligator
>
> It seems they're fairly similar and maybe there's things they can
> share and benefit from each other?
> In any case you can submit the repository into invent.kde.org under
> your username, if you want to commit into releasing it and keeping it
> alive we can consider incubating it, but like I said, I'm sure we'd
> all prefer to have a great RSS Kirigami app than 2 almost great ones.
> ;)
>
> Salut!
> Aleix
>
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM Aleix Quintana Alsius
> <kinta at communia.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> My name is Aleix Quintana, I am from Terrassa(Barcelona), I work in
> communia.org (a little floss tech coop ) and i have created the app tiny
> news,  well i converted the idea from a previous(crappy) plasmoid
> [...]

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the difference between both. I guess
being aware of it makes sense. I'm not entirely sure that it doesn't
make sense for Alligator to also support remote feed aggregation but I
personally do not know. Having them both on KDE Gear would be more
confusing than anything.

I wouldn't really push you to getting the project in invent.kde.org
right now just because. Maybe if you ever consider going through the
lifecycle, it's something we can look into?
https://community.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle

Salut! :)

Aleix