Any interest in a batch file renamer in KIO?

Konstantin Kharlamov hi-angel at yandex.ru
Wed May 19 13:29:57 BST 2021

On Wed, 2021-05-19 at 13:30 +0200, Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:38 PM Nomen Luni <nomen.luni at gmx.us> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I actually looked at KRename some time back and it wasn't quite what I
> > wanted. It does actually appear as a service menu option when installed,
> > so it has that base covered, however for my needs it's felt a little
> > unwieldy. My application, whilst no doubt a little less capable feels
> > smaller and more streamlined to operate and dare I say more at a level
> > consistent with the Dolphin ethos in terms of the simplicity of the GUI
> > - I realise this is subjective. If anyone has used the Thunar 'bulk
> > rename' plugin, mine is heavily influenced by the interface of that (but
> > implemented in Qt which was one of the prime reasons for its
> > creation)... so it wasn't a case of 'new code is more fun,' so much as
> > 'this is exactly what I want.'
> >
> > Since KRename already operates as a Dolphin plugin it shouldn't be too
> > much work to integrate it directly into Dolphin, or perhaps even just
> > ship it as a default plugin, however that isn't something I'm interested
> > in working on as I don't use it... benevolent self interest and all that.
> >
> > Dolphin could really benefit from a batch rename function in my opinion,
> > what form that functionality should take, pre-existing or new, is a
> > worthwhile conversation. In any case, Harald's point regarding
> > discoverability is a valid one, as I'm sure a large proportion of users
> > never take the time to investigate the service menu plugins.
>
> My point was more that all the "backendy" bits already exist in
> krename, the discoverability it lends is just bonus. And while I
> completely agree that the current UI is very... eh, advanced... you
> could simply stick another simplistic UI on top, or rework the default
> appearance of krename so it is simpler by default and powerful when
> needed. The way I see it krename could definitely become more
> appealing to potential users by being simpler, and at the same time if
> you invest UI engineering into krename you don't have to worry about
> any of the logic behind renaming in of itself since that already
> exists and is QA'd.
>
> HS

My point on discoverability was that a person more likely to question "Hmm, what plugins do I have in Dolphin" and find out this plugin, rather than "Hmm, what can I use to rename a bunch of files", in which case they need to use search engine, and after they did it, they'll most likely get a bunch of bash solutions. KRename won't be one of them unless they specifically search for "KDE file rename tools".

So in that sense, discoverability of a plugin is higher than that of a stand-alone app.