Resource and energy efficiency of KDE applications

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Jun 29 23:57:48 BST 2021

On 29.06.21 19:38, Arjun AK wrote:

>      I don't think measuring current on a Desktop is the right way to do
> this. Your desktop is going to be too "noisy" when it comes to power
> measurements. Activity from components like hard disk, WiFi/BT, Ethernet
> or other software during the testing would end up affecting the
> measurements. It would be better off doing this on a SBC (maybe a PI2?),
> with as much hardware turned off as possible and running a minimum set
> of software. Measurements could be done with a multimeter[1] or maybe
> even a INA219[2].

Part of the measurement is to also record system utilisation such as
harddisk or network activity. That makes it possible to at least to some
degree account for the noisy part.

It's also a tradeoff between measuring in a realistic scenario which is
close to normal use and a prepared setup which is aimed at getting more
exact numbers.

I think it would be interesting to do both and see what the numbers say.

There certainly is a lot to be learned and to be improved here. For me
the most important step is to be more aware of energy consumption and to
try to get numbers at all. Any insight is welcome :-)