Resource and energy efficiency of KDE applications

Arjun AK arjunak234 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 18:38:26 BST 2021

On 26/06/21 2:10 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> There has been some work underway for some time to look at resource and
> energy efficiency of KDE applications. I would like to give some more
> insight into what is happening there and invite you to join, where this
> is interesting for you.
>
> The first part is FEEP, the FOSS energy efficiency project[1]. The goal
> of the project is to measure energy consumption of Free Software
> applications, starting with some KDE applications. There is a
> methodology developed by the Umwelt-Campus Birkenfeld[2], which provides
> a standardized way to get data about energy and other resource usage of
> desktop applications. This is a good starting point.
>
> The impact of information technology on the overall usage of electricity
> and other resources is significant. Getting awareness and some actual
> data will help us to find ways how we can contribute to a responsible
> and sustainable usage of resources.
>
> Energy efficiency is one aspect of sustainability, but there are more.
> Resource usage for manufacturing devices and how long they can be used
> is another one. And a big part also is user autonomy, so that people can
> decide how they use software.
>
> Since last year there is a set of criteria for resource and
> energy-efficient software products as part of the German ecolabel Blue
> Angel[3]. They try to capture these aspects in the form of a list of
> requirements, covering energy-efficiency, potential hardware operating
> life, and user autonomy.
>
> KDE is in a very good position to fulfill these requirements, because
> our vision and values are very much in line with the goals which are
> behind these requirements. Transparency, privacy, freedom, giving people
> control, responsible usage of resources, this is all very much ingrained
> in our community.
>
> So we are documenting how KDE applications meet the criteria for
> resource and energy-efficient software products[4], and we are trying to
> get the official certification of the Blue Angel by applying for the
> label through KDE e.V.
>
> I gave a presentation at this year's Akademy with the title "Towards
> sustainable computing" which goes into more detail. You can find the
> recording in KDE's YouTube channel[5].
>
> There is a lot which we can do in this area to show how KDE already
> contributes to sustainable computing and improve what we are doing. So
> if you are interested in this topic and would like to do something there
> are many opportunities. These often are small things which don't take
> too much time. Every contribution counts. Some examples are:
>
> * Defining typical usage scenarios which can be used as a base for
> measuring energy efficiency of applications
> * Automating usage scenarios so measurements can be done in an automated
> and repeatable way
> * Evaluation of energy measurements to find out what impacts energy
> efficiency and how this can be optimized
> [...]

Hi

	I don't think measuring current on a Desktop is the right way to do
this. Your desktop is going to be too "noisy" when it comes to power
measurements. Activity from components like hard disk, WiFi/BT, Ethernet
or other software during the testing would end up affecting the
measurements. It would be better off doing this on a SBC (maybe a PI2?),
with as much hardware turned off as possible and running a minimum set
of software. Measurements could be done with a multimeter[1] or maybe
even a INA219[2].

[1] https://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Multimeters
[2] https://www.adafruit.com/product/904

-