Files on Collaborate

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Aug 28 21:15:46 BST 2021

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 8:35 PM Paul Brown <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, 28 August 2021 06:28:24 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This morning Sysadmin was informed by a member of the community that a
> > substantial number of files had been removed from the shared "Community
> > Notes" folder.
>
> Hi,

Hi Paul,

> I apologise. I'm pretty sure that was me.
>
> I use the Nextcloud desktop client most of the time and made the double
> mistake of moving (instead of copying) several files and folders (when I
> only
> wanted to copy one) using Dolphin. I must've distractedly selected a
> folder
> containing my _collaborate_ shared folder and then scrolled down so it was
> off
> screen, and then selected the file I really wanted to copy while holding
> down
> Ctrl . I have no idea what I was thinking.
>
> I thought I had caught it in time when I realised something was not right
> and
> before any major damage was done. I killed the process and stopped the
> synch
> and even erased the account from the client so it wouldn't try and resume
> synching when I restarted the client. But clearly I was not fast enough.
>
> Either way, I am deeply embarrassed and very sorry for the trouble I have
> caused and will be extra cautious from now on.

No worries, fortunately no permanent damage was done.

It is a little concerning that moving the whole folder watched by the
Nextcloud desktop client can cause behaviour such as this however - I would
have expected it to realise something had gone wrong and flagged this
before proceeding with deleting everything. It would be nice if the Desktop
Client developers could rectify this behaviour.

Cheers,
Ben