Question about copyright notices

Johan Ouwerkerk jm.ouwerkerk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:17:18 BST 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:33 PM Matthieu Gallien
<gallien.matthieu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember reading somewhere in the Internet that it is not useful or necessary to bump the year part of copyright notices.
>
> I did not manage to see if this indicated in https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
>
> Is there some consensus as to what is best for code hosted by the KDE community ?

As I understand it, the copyright year is supposed to be associated
with who contributed what and when that contribution was
made/released. So if I contributed to `foo.cpp` in 2019 and 2020 you
are supposed to see something to the effect of `Copyright 2019-2020
Johan Ouwerkerk`, and suppose that in 10 years time I contribute again
to that file then would become `Copyright 2019-2020, 2030 Johan
Ouwerkerk`.

What you don't do is bump a `Copyright` year indicator just because a
new release was made of the application, the bump only happens when an
actual change is made and then it is attributed to the corresponding
contributor.

Regards,

- Johan Ouwerkerk