Proposal: make squash-merging the default behavior for gitlab MRs

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Wed Oct 7 16:26:05 BST 2020

Am Tue, 6 Oct 2020 08:26:02 -0600
schrieb Nate Graham <nate at kde.org>:
> GitLab already *kind of* offers this, in the form of the "Squash
> commits" checkbox next to the merge button. Apparently it's not
> obvious enough though, because I can think of a bunch of cases of
> multi-commit MRs with mostly garbage commits accidentally not being
> squashed when merging.

Unfortunately the workflow is rather backwards in that the checkbox
needs to be ticked, when creating the merge request, not after review.
However right before merging would be the time to judge whether the
commit history contains valuable information or useless noise.

(IIRC the "squash commits" checkbox can still be changed at that
point, but it's not obviously visible, then).

Probably not something we can easily configure/adjust downstream,
though?

Thomas