Synchronized release schedule for Plasma

Timothée Ravier travier at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 15:07:01 GMT 2020

Hi KDE/Plasma developers!

Nowadays, Fedora and Kubuntu make new releases twice a year within a week
of each other, with relatively predictable release schedules.

Unfortunately, new KDE/Plasma releases happen a little bit too late for
them to be included in those distributions in time for the release. Thus
the current version of KDE/Plamsa in both Fedora and Kubuntu is one release
behind (at least on release day). It may or may not be updated after the
release.

For the Fedora KDE SIG, we have an issue about this:
https://pagure.io/fedora-kde/SIG/issue/25

As distribution package maintainers, we would like Plasma developers to
slightly alter the release schedule to align releases with a more
distribution friendly cycle. You could consider shortening one release
cycle (and then keep the 6 month schedule) to align releases.

With this schedule in place, we would also benefit from more beta releases
over a slightly longer period. They would be packaged into the beta and RC
releases of those distributions thus enabling more pre-release testing.

All of this would benefit both upstream and downstream:

  - More pre-release and just released software testing as users test the
new distribution version directly with the KDE beta and fresh stable
releases
  - More updated and happy users using the latest release
  - Less bugs reported against older releases, more bugs reported before
the final stable releases

What do you think?

Thanks!

Timothée Ravier for the Fedora KDE SIG