Synchronized release schedule for Plasma

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 16:09:55 GMT 2020

> As distribution package maintainers, we would like Plasma developers to
> slightly alter the release schedule to align releases with a more
> distribution friendly cycle. You could consider shortening one release
> cycle (and then keep the 6 month schedule) to align releases.

We have in the past shuffled things slightly to line up things up with
distros on request, particularly LTS releases. We can certainly explore
that on a one-off basis.

>With this schedule in place, we would also benefit from more beta releases
over a slightly longer period. They would be packaged into the beta and RC
releases of those distributions thus enabling more pre-release testing.

We did have 6 month release cycles in the past.

The rationale for moving at the time was twofold:
 - people rushed in changes towards the feature freeze as otherwise it
would be aages till their changes reached users
 - the more changes we have in a release, the more testing and inevitable
regression fixes we need to do, spreading that out should result in things
being more stable

Initially we did every 3 months (which arguably still aligns) then it
slowly slipped to 4.

My personal impression is that releases have gotten better as a result of
those changes, so I'm hesitant about reverting that decision.

David