RSIBreak / KIdleTime on Wayland

Dominik Waurenschk dominik.waurenschk at protonmail.com
Sun Nov 15 22:33:20 GMT 2020

> > > So do you think it makes sense to have the function return some form or error instead of just returning 0, or is there a good reason it is not doing that already?
> I don't think it helps with a lot, you need to change clients to
> handle the error, at which point we've not really solved a lot. If
> you're going to use the addIdleTimeout API you may as well do it
> everywhere. It is considerably lighter on X11 too.

> Like Albert suggested, a capabilities flag could make sense.

Now that it was mentioned, I agree that having some way of checking if this feature works (like a capability flag) is a better idea than changing the expected behaviour of the function.

> > RSIBreak is unable to count down in wayland, after 1 second it always resets its timer.
> Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: Is it when you
> have a shortbreak set after N minutes and you get a "please relax for
> 20seconds" with a progress bar?
>

> If so, simplest option is to start a 1s idletime timer. We don't need
> to know how long we've been idle via polling, just if/when we're
> interrupted during the 20s countdown.
> David

Yes, I meant that progress bar.
I've had that 1s idle timer idea as well, unfortunately after writing this, but thank you for confirming that this would indeed work.
I will give that a try and if I can get RSIBreak to a working state on wayland submit a PR for it.

Dominik